Rehbinder arms
s***@gmail.com
2015-07-07 01:43:07 UTC
Hi all

I am researching the arms of the Rehbinder family, of Baltic origin. I have some questions about these arms, and I thought I would ask for help. According to what I've found, the original arms were roughly Or three crowned serpents pale-wise(?), and the crest is roughly a mirror? with two crowned serpents surrounding the base (like a caduceus) all between two wings.

Here is the blazon as given by Rietstap:

https://books.google.com/books?id=m6NAAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA865&lpg=PA865&dq=Rietstap++Rehbinder&source=bl&ots=OFMa2g8r3I&sig=IJFQiK5UGyyTt1IJHNIt0nQBhOw&hl=en&sa=X&ei=-yabVc2XNM-KoQTbkKuYCg&ved=0CCcQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=Rietstap%20%20Rehbinder&f=false

Here is an image of these arms:

One apparent member of this family, Henrik von Rehbinder (1604-1680), was raised to the nobility in Sweden. He seems to have received new arms that are illustrated and blazoned on the website of the Swedish Riddarhuset: http://www.riddarhuset.se/att/rehbinder/

Presumably this blazon is taken from the original records of the Riddarhuset. I think I have been able to roughly translate the Swedish blazon, and I was able to find an image online that closely corresponds to this: Loading Image...

I find the presence of a quarter that appears very much like the arms of Norway (blazoned as a "krönte leijon, som hvardera hålla en norrsk vapn yxa eller bila") both fascinating and unexplained. But it is the central escutcheon and one of the two crests that really perplex me.

According to wikipedia, the ten stars refer to Henrik's ten sons: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henrik_von_Rehbinder

There are also three crowned number "3" numerals ("3:ne krönte treor"). These crowned numerals also appear in the crest flanking a sword piercing a human skull ("2:ne krönte treor visar ett uprättstående svärd med en dödskalle på spetsen ").

I am struck by the similarity of the three numerals and the three snakes in both versions of the arms. Both are crowned and squiggle-like. They also appear in the crest flanking a vertical object. I've even seen some paintings of these arms online that seem to blur the lines between these two crests...the numerals flanking what looks like a mirror: Loading Image...

I wonder what is going on here. Perhaps some Swedish herald mistook the original Rehbinder snakes as numerals? Or perhaps the numerals were an intentional charge referring to some detail of Henrik's personal history. Or maybe I'm seeing patterns and similarities where none exist? Regrettably my linguistic limitations and ignorance of Swedish history are a hindrance. Does anybody have any information that can help?

Thank you!
N***@gmail.com
2015-07-09 03:10:55 UTC
http://www.adelsvapen.com/wiki/images/0/09/Von_Rehbinder.jpg
One apparent member of this family, Henrik von Rehbinder (1604-1680), was raised to the nobility in Sweden. He seems to have received new arms that are illustrated and blazoned on the website of the Swedish Riddarhuset: http://www.riddarhuset.se/att/rehbinder/
Presumably this blazon is taken from the original records of the Riddarhuset. I think I have been able to roughly translate the Swedish blazon, and I was able to find an image online that closely corresponds to this: http://photos.geni.com/p13/e9/80/6b/68/5344483a9f4f649f/rehbinder_vapen147_large.jpg
I find the presence of a quarter that appears very much like the arms of Norway (blazoned as a "krönte leijon, som hvardera hålla en norrsk vapn yxa eller bila") both fascinating and unexplained. But it is the central escutcheon and one of the two crests that really perplex me.
According to wikipedia, the ten stars refer to Henrik's ten sons: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henrik_von_Rehbinder
There are also three crowned number "3" numerals ("3:ne krönte treor"). These crowned numerals also appear in the crest flanking a sword piercing a human skull ("2:ne krönte treor visar ett uprättstående svärd med en dödskalle på spetsen ").
I am struck by the similarity of the three numerals and the three snakes in both versions of the arms. Both are crowned and squiggle-like. They also appear in the crest flanking a vertical object. I've even seen some paintings of these arms online that seem to blur the lines between these two crests...the numerals flanking what looks like a mirror: http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1750-Rehbinder-Wappen-vapen-coat-of-arms-Genealogie-Heraldik-Kupferstich-/00/s/ODQyWDcyNg==/z/Y4kAAOxy0x1TR-FQ/$_35.JPG
http://www.adelsvapen.com/wiki/images/a/ac/F_077.jpg
I wonder what is going on here. Perhaps some Swedish herald mistook the original Rehbinder snakes as numerals? Or perhaps the numerals were an intentional charge referring to some detail of Henrik's personal history. Or maybe I'm seeing patterns and similarities where none exist? Regrettably my linguistic limitations and ignorance of Swedish history are a hindrance. Does anybody have any information that can help?
Thank you!
The crowned 3's immediately reminded me of the Tre Kronor, the three golden crowns of the Swedish arms. And crossed swords behind a crown reminds of something,

So it would be very interesting to read the reasoning behind the symbolism on this coat.

Nick
s***@gmail.com
2015-07-19 01:46:55 UTC
Hi all,

I think I've found a book that may answer some of my questions:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gkr2p8rpvemeijy/rehbinder.pdf

Can anybody here read what is says?

Here are a few illustrations from the book:

Cheers,

Sebastian
s***@gmail.com
2015-08-08 20:55:45 UTC
Hi all,

I was reading the entry for the Rehbinder family on the adelsvapen.com website. I was looking at the entry for Bernhard Rehbinder (1639-1705), and I think it says that his arms are displayed in the church in the Finnish town of Vehmaa: "...Död 1705-07-09 på Nuhjala enligt påskriften på hans vapen i Vemo moderkyrka samt begraven 1706-01-17 i Åbo domkyrka..." http://www.adelsvapen.com/genealogi/Rehbinder_nr_77

Bernhard is one of the many sons of Henrik friherre Rehbinder. Bernhard is also the Rehbinder son that I descend from. Maybe the arms in this church could help me learn which crest Bernhard used (skull on a sword point or a mirror?)

I found another website in Finnish that mentions this church and Bernhard's arms. It is difficult for me to read, but I think it also states that the church holds a sword given to Bernhard by King Charles XI of Sweden: "...Suurikokoinen hautausvaakuna kertoo Nuhjalan ym. kartanoitten omistajan vapaaherra ja eversti Bernhard Rehbinderin kuolleen v. 1705. Vierellä on miekka, jonka on hänelle lahjoittanut kuningas Kaarle XI..." http://vehmaansrk.nettisivu.org/yhteystiedot/tietoa-toimitiloista/

I found some photos of this church online, including one that appears to show Bernhard's arms. The image is small, dark and hard to see, but it looks like a funerary achievement (like a begravningsvapen). The crests look like those of the Rehbinder arms, and there is even a sword on the wall of the church below the achievement.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/~kj2731/kirkot/keskiajan_kivikirkot/vehmaa.htm

I'd love to find a clearer photograph of this achievement...I don't suppose anyone here has any travel snapshots from a vacation to Vehmaa?

Cheers,
s***@gmail.com
2015-08-13 13:42:20 UTC
Oh here is a better photo of the monument:

http://soulsistersblogi.fi/2012/06/fillaristit-saapuivat-vehmaalle/

...now I just need to find a microscope to read the inscription.